View Single Post
Old 07-17-2001, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Getting rid of our Mixing Boards? Philosophical question.

Hi Fab,

I went down this route myself a couple of years ago: I had an O2R + PT (as a recorder/editor). I was lucky enough to have the budget to get a ProControl and got rid of the O2R. So I can't answer your first point.

<< Is the PT 2buss going to sound as good as the O2R Two-buss? >> No ... IMHO, PT sounds considerably better.

<< -Is it going to be a royal pain to create headphone mixes on the fly (That TDM delay everytime I insert sends and fx is just horrendous)? >> Nope, it's dead easy. I actually find it easier than on the O2R.

<< Is it going to be practical to access my outboard Lexicon/Eventide/Avalon gear in a PT only set-up? (On mixdown mostly) >> Absolutely, I do this all the time. Using the digital I/Os from an 888/24 and stereo aux imputs for the returns. Obviously though you need to buy enough 888/24s to give you the number of I/Os you need for your all your outboard gear.

<< How on earth do you manage two track returns (CDs, CD recorder, DAT, K7s, and monitor levels and stuff like that? >> Each channel on an 888/24 has two simultaneous outputs; one analog, one digital. I use the analog outs for monitoring and the digital outs to DAT or whatever.

Voila [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Greg