View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Simple Komplete/Hard Drive Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBoatman25 View Post
Ok, thank you for helping me out!

So from this screenshot let me know if this is correct before I download.

Download location- should be desktop

Application location- should be desktop

Content location- should be hard drive
Humor me as I try and understand what is going on. Some of this will sound stupid but there are times I like to get excessive with my thoughts.

You're installing from the NI supplied drive right? Seems kind of weird if you're installing from the NI drive.

The Application location is right.

As far as 'Content Location' you don't want that on your system drive. It should go on whatever drive you have your samples on. That 'content' should mainly be, like I said earlier, the samples for Battery 4 and Kontakt. The Kontakt stuff includes not just what's in Kontakt itself (the Factory Library) but also stuff like the Pianos, the various Drummer pinraries (which play through Kontakt), etc. The reason, as I said, you don't want that on your system drive is responsiveness - a spinner drive can only access on spot on the drive at any time on a rather slow access rate. If the system drive is an ssd then that kind of goes away but I still wouldn't put my samples there.

A secondary thing of putting samples on a separate drive is that when (not if but when) you have to either reformat your system drive, replace it or it befalls some other disaster you don't have to reload the gigabytes of sample data. Trust me on this - I not only have my samples on a separate drive but I also have a clone of that drive. So if I lose one drive I have the other to keep working. You don't have to go that far but it's food for thought.

QAPLA!