View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Authoritative on RAID usage?

I'm reviving an older post here because adding to this discussion seems like a better idea than starting a new one...

To assume that people are using RAID arrays specifically for throughput is missing the target a bit, in my opinion. Redundancy of data is an essential to the modern work flow. Backing up after recording is like pulling out as a form of contraception. Use of Mirrored RAID arrays, or ideally RAID 5 (combo of redundancy, speed, and efficient use of drive space) is the NORM in professional environments for every other creative digital field. There's a common phrase used at a place i work: "You either have your data in 2 places or you have it in 0".

If the concern is bogging down the processors, it's a non-issue with dedicated hardware RAID systems. Latency shouldn't be a problem as long as the device has a large enough cache and you're going over SCSI or Fiberchannel to connect to the PT system. There's no issue with taxing the drive that the protools system is on, because we're all recording to a secondary drive right? Is it the session file itself, not the raw AIFF's that is causing the problem?

So what's the dealy, yo?
RAID is supported and encouraged with Logic (just like faster than real-time bounce, but that dead horse has too many bruises already). Too bad logic aint my cup of tea. Why does DIGI yell "RAID?!?!?!?!?" like a bunch of cockroaches on my tv?
I just really hate the idea that an entire session has to live on it's own until i can make a copy manually.

</rant>