View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Vienna Ensemble Pro+ProTools

A positive heads up to anyone contemplating this combo.
If your G5 is no longer capable of your VI or RTAS requirements and you don't feel inclined to have your hard earned money gouged from your bank account by Avid's cross grade to PCIe solution then I suggest you take a look at this combo.

I recently bought a used Mac Pro 3.2 8 Core and also purchased VE Pro.
If you are interested in Orchestral String sounds then you are in luck because VEPro ships with the "Appassionata" collection all for the princely sum of $385US. all up. (the string collection sells separately for $985!.....perhaps we get a stripped down version...I'll have to check)

VEPro is working flawlessly on my slave system. I initially had some drop out problems but have solved them.
I can load up Omnisphere, Trillian, Superior Drums, Addictive Drums, Stylus RMX, BPM, iDrum, 2x Kontakt players and 1 Kore player plus the Vienna Instrument with the strings loaded. I instruct VEP to use all 8 threads (cores) and the Mac Pro sits there and says....."why don't you actually make me do something?" All processors are averaging around 12%.

I make up a midi template in PT and I have all these instruments available in all sessions.
But here's the dumbfounding thing. Most of these multi timbrel instruments are coming into PT on individual audio channels.............and I don't have a sound card in the Mac.

I can't quite figure out how that all works through just 1 ethernet cable but it does.
So I don't need another box of converters clocking off the 192. I don't need anything but an ethernet cable and I've got 32 channels of audio coming into ProTools.
I have already completed 2 songs using this system and it's working incredibly well.
I started out using Logic but quickly hit the 4 gig limit and got tired of the Logic "funkiness" (read random crashes)

Worth checking out VEPro and thanks to Lee Blaske for alerting me to it .

http://philbuckle.com/