View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Re: maintenance best practices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
This might be a little controversial but I would like to throw out the idea of NOT doing some usual maintenance operations.

Once you achieve a stable working system, disconnect from the internet and don't do Windows updates. Don't do driver updates. I don't run any anti-virus program because I don't take my workstation on the internet so there are no virius definitions to update. Don't update anything routinely. If you purchase a new plug-in and it doesn't work, maybe then look into some updating, but only if you really identify that you need to. Maybe try it first on a cloned drive. I wouldn't even do Avid updates unless they offer a specific bug fix or feature that you need. The old cliche: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Sooner or later the time will come when you want to do a completely new version of Pro Tools (PT11?). Then and only then, go out and update everything before you do the install.

Of course, I understand that this is only possible if you don't take your workstation on the internet. The Marketplace & the export to cloud functions sort of encourage internet connectivity. So this concept won't work for everyone.

Thoughts?
I actually abide by this daily and preach it to many! The only time I get on the Internet is to update plugs or other software, or when I want to send a mp3 or mix to someone through email. After I'm done I'll reset safari before I do anything else! If I want to surf I'll get on my phone, iPad, laptop or any other computer around me at the time. Personally Im very against anything cloud based interacting with my system. I won't even sync or update my iPhone on it.. Every now and then though I'll use the optical ins & outs on my 96 to route iTunes in for playback through it, but that's pretty much it for me.