View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Proper Recording Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
Why would Paul Draper in the "In The Box Series" add an effect or compression to boost the level then trim it back down to -10? Isn't that just getting rid of what he did with the effect? He also never moves the faders around either which is crucial to mixing. He never once explains using volume automation or anything.
I believe he does do volume automations, but I think it's more of a gain staging series more than anything, yes? Per channel, per mix and finally mastering.

I think the first in his chain is the Klanghelm VU - but even if using an effect, it's possible that the resulting signal is to end up at -10 for mixing. Gain staging doesn't null effect results.

I bought the Klanghelm VU as a result of this video series and incorporated his methods with mine. I always like to pull all faders to around -12 and start my mix from there. Multiple layers of compression via channel (if necessary), group busses, parallel mix compression (ala Schoeps) ... My resulting final mix is about -18 - plenty of headroom.