View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Sonarworks and HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
All is good until I am overdubbing into an evolved mix with a combination of native and DSP plugins. Talent is listening to a headphone mix derived from sends from individual tracks and I of course am monitoring through the master.

Headphone mix i'm assuming is fine ( no one complains) but listening in the control room I'm feeling like the live overdub track sounds delayed or late while tracking and then sounds better in time on playback (or I've just been tracking some bad players).

Haven't done a controlled test yet, but I'm wondering if its because the plugins on the master are not delay compensated? If that's the case then maybe if I route all my tracks to a stereo AUX first and put Sonarworks on the aux if maybe the latency of the Sonarworks plugin would then be delay compensated.

Whaddaya think?

I always preferred having sonwarworks on an aux and using even another aux as a master when I was using it. This way you can create a bus that you bounce from and out SW after that bus and not have to worry about disabling SW when you bounce. And I'm guessing that that if the master isn't getting compensated, that is your issue here- but keep in mind that the actual latency in that scenario is 50ms for the plugin plus 2x your host buffer setting. The downside to doing it with an aux is then it will be compensated for.

Of course that is an issue across the board with DSP + native...anytime the native is after any DSP it's 2x the host buffer to go out and back in to the cards.