Thread: Disk encryption
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Disk encryption

The security on this has to go beyond the norm (and we are used to high security for some of our clients and projects). In this case disks are going to have to leave the secure studio environment and we will not be able to control the security at the destination. There is also a perceived risk in the transportation of drives between the studio and the destination. As the project is ongoing, we will need to work with the material at the destination and so making encrypted archives and low level formatting the drives is not a solution.
Hard disk hardware based encryption seems to be the way to go, but I was not sure if there would be a big peformance hit in terms of track count and the like. What about the recommendation of Oxford chipsets for optimum ProTools performance?
I presume that as the file system is visible to the OS then there would not be a problem in creating 'smart' backups on another (encrypted) drive.
I could imagine that Disk Warrior would have trouble in correcting any disk directory problems so backing up will be very important.