View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Questions on NI Komplete Kontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, I think I finally was able to figure most of it out as far as what goes where. Its not the most intuitive of plugins, that's for sure! What I didn't realize is that Reaktor is another host program, with a lot more to it. Apparently some of the VI's that came with the Komplete Start package are hosted in Reaktor, but not in Kontakt. A rather complicated set-up, if you ask me.

However, some of the VI's are certainly nice with some great sounding patches. Now that I get the basic layout it'll be easier figuring out what all the various VI's do and how they work. The most complicated seems to be Newscool, which employs some kind of secret algorithm to create rhythms and sequences. Not sure how much I'll want to get into all that!

There does seem to be quite a few VI's for both Reaktor and Kontakt out there, though. Some are free, and some aren't. I like the ones from Output Sounds, especially Exhale, which seems to have some rather unique patches based on vocals. Might have to give that look see.
Technically speaking Reaktor is not a host. It's a plugin in which instruments and effects are built using it's internal building blocks. It really gets down to what I would call the molecular level. Think of it as building a synthesizer out of individual capacitors, resistors and ic's. You can't edit the internals of something like Newscool in Reaktor Player which is the freebie but you can in the full Reaktor. I have the full Reaktor and have opened some things and it's amazing what's going on behind the front panel gui. You can even build your own stuff if you have the temerity to do so.

Do pay attention though to third party libraries/sounds for Kontakt as some require the full Kontakt and won't work with the free Kontakt. There's also a user community that puts up free ensembles for Reaktor that's hosted by NI.

QAPLA!