View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Intel vs. AMD for Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
The best Ryzen only has 24 lanes. The chipset which also supplies separate PCIe lanes, which are basically the Southbridge lanes. This is actually what most peripherals connect to. Ryzen only supplies PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 specs like Intel.

I can't parse this to see if you are stating incorrect information or just not writing clearly, so let's be careful. Ryzen itself had 24 lanes that are all PCIe 3, the X370 APU has 8 x PCIe 2 lanes.

I agree that Ryzen systems may run into PCIe slot configuration issues, solvable with a nice PLX switch on the motherboard but I don't expect Ryzen motherboard manufacturers to spend the $ on expensive switch chips. I expect M.2 drives to become super popular and Ryzen is not so configurable for folks with multiple M.2 drives, or you may end up burning larger slots just to get a x4 M.2 card in that slot.

The best thing about Ryzen IMNSHO is the pressure it is putting on Chipzilla. A 10 core i9 with 40 lanes of PCIe 3 looks pretty damn nice. Not sure 128 GB monsters with no ECC is a good idea, .... oh yes Ryzen CPUs support ECC. How many motherboards will is TBD. Hello Intel about your Xeon E5 pricing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk