View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Default Re: midi controller(s) latency? PT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
Mac Pro 2X2 8 Ghz Quad-Core, 4 Gig RAM

Two main problems.
The first is latency.
Extreme with Alesis, less with M-Audio, virtually none with X Board (which is ironic, considering it's the cheapest)

Second Problem is tone. Each controller sounds very different with the exact same patches in Reason. (using a Yamaha C7 for comparison)
The E-Mu sounds the most "correct", the Xboard, then the Alesis.

When I'm in reason, just hitting the identify controller function.
There are no specific drivers that i could find on the web for any of these controllers, they all say they are class compatible.

Is there something else I should be doing to set these up correctly?
1. I would try upgrading to Reason 4 for one since it is the latest version. Also try using the MIDI offset feature...

2. Each controller sounds different because each one has its own velocity curve or multiple selectable ones (e.g. Korg Triton). A velocity curve is exactly what it sounds like. It basically lets you remap the function which maps the strength you hit the key to the volume the note plays. I don't know anything about your particular controllers but some controllers do have selectable curves. If not, there are some older "MIDI velocity curve changer" freewares but none that run on your current os. If you have an older computer lying around or a Windows machine, do a search and see if you can get your velocity curves the way you like them...