View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Digi 002 Rack to Pro tools HD1 PCI Core System

maybe, maybe not. If you start out by using RTAS plugins first then saving your HD card for when the system starts getting used up, then you will definitely be able get more plugins. Using the HD card alone, I wouldn't doubt if you can get more plugins going on the G5.

But is that all you want the HD1 system for??? Plugin counts? For the money you could buy a brand new Mac Pro and pimp it out and blow an HD1 system away as far as shear power goes. Then factor in how much more TDM plugins cost, OUCH!

If it's for the Auto Delay Compensation and the smoother operating then I can see the need. If you just want more plugins, a Mac Pro properly setup with 4GB of RAM with knock your socks off. The only way I would trade in my current system would be for an HD3 with a ton of Free plugins like Digi does sometimes. I even think my setup, plugin for plugin, can run with if not beat an HD2 system in plugin count. I know for sure the HD2 system (not accel) I used to use on a Mirror door G4 can't touch this Mac Pro. But I will admit the HD systems are MUCH smoother sailing and a lot less error messages get thrown off. Buffer Under/Overrun error basically don't exist. You gotta have a bit of patience to run an LE system in a professional environment. Manual Delay compensation isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be, I actually enjoy doing the Math. And if it weren't for Waves R-Compressor I wouldn't do a quarter of the compensating that I do. Anyway, no I'm rambling...