View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Motherboards and systems for use with original HD core and process cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Best board for HD PCI with a Core 2 Quad is the ASUS P5WDG2-WS-Pro. If you can still find one. They are worth seeking out. Grab a Core 2 Quad Q9550 while they are still cheap. Grab 4GB of Corsair XMS DDR2 800 with timing specs of 4-4-4-12 and a ATI video card with a minimal amount of memory. The P5WDG2-Pro has 2 PCI-X slots and 2 PCI slots. This will let you run up to HD3 and you will have tons of RTAS. This board has been used on 4-5 HD builds - Nick H, Bob Nagy, Guitarzan and a few others. This is probably the most trouble free of all the HD compatible boards.

Moving my LE rig from a P4 3.4GHz to a Q6600 picked me up about 700% more RTAS power.

Hey Sunburst, I could be wrong, but I don't think the P5WDG2-Pro can run the Q9550. When I was researching that MB (which I currently use), I thought I read that it can't use the 45nm processors. Or is it just that the board wouldn't take advantage of a 45nm chip? Are they the same form factor? Anyway, that's why I went with the Q6700 when I built my system.

Also, why do you say it can run "up to HD3"? Aren't a few ppl running an HD4 on it? BrandonX for one I think?