Thread: Here's one more
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Here\'s one more

Yeah, I used the rosetta for everything, exept a couple tracks for drums. The rosetta gives a little bit more dept, but I can asure you thats only about 10%. For voclas I used a KSM32 through "The Mastering Lab" tube pre, wich is extremely uncolored, only if you drive it, it will add that nice distortion. I think it goes for about $1000. Actually I used it for all of the overdubs. I think that pre is way more important to my mixing than the rosetta. Anyways... But my bigest secret on vocals is to use some kinda harmonic distortion. I used Vintage warmer in Wavelab, for the snare kick guitars and vox. I never use their settings since they are too extreme, I only use the hard driven tape setting and always lower the output. And the vocals come out with tons of pressence. Then in protools I use ren EQ to cut everything below 90hz, then add some more pressence at 3k(this depends in the singer), cut lots at 16k(this only work if you also lowpass at 16k on most of the tracks, to give more space for the singer, and it also makes recordings less digital sounding. In the mastering process you can add some air if needed, this way ots better since all the tracks get affected and its more musical), and if that takes away alittle bit of air, I'll make the 3k Q wider. Then I use Ren comp to set the attack and release to the song (very important, and remember that the vox were compressed alot with vintage warmer already). And at the end of the chain its waves Deesser, set to 3K, in a way that only the loud harsh parts get affected ( I set it to 3k since thats what I added on the EQ) this way the soft parts still have all the pressence that I added, and lots of warmth vs just thin airy vocals.

Also besides my vocal chain, I copy the lead vox to 2 extra tracks, one of the in detuned -8, and the other one to +8, then I delay one track 15ms, and the other 28ms. Pan the hard left and right. I bring these tracks up way lower than the original, just alittle so it gives dept, but almost nothing, then run the same vocals chain on them as the original track. There are no phase problems with this. And if the track get louder as it goes, I would automate the delayed track up a little. this way the lead vocals seems to be invinsible [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Happy Mixing
Also: doubled the vox in the choruses, and added quarter note delay on this track. 50% less loud than the lead and panned 50% to the right or left (depending whats free of instruments). Also never put anything around the vox, atleast 50% around it paningwise (exept harmonies).

And nothing will make a bad singer good [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] all I can do is to produce the singer so they give all they can. Sometimes they think im evil, but let them know youre doing it for the song.