View Single Post
Old 09-14-2001, 02:42 PM

Default Re: burst of static--help!

Alright, I have now tried everything that has been suggested to no avail. I even ran Digitest over and over trying to catch any intermittancy.

In talking to another PT user/tech, he immediately stated that the problem is that I am using ATA drives. He claimed the various system performance meters wouldn't show spikes when an ATA drive is overtaxed, and that ProTools' "drive too slow errors" would not appear, although I didn't quite follow how this would be. I have read many posts about how people are getting amazing results with ATA drives, and when they overtax them, they get the error dialogue, not bursts of noise. The sessions I am running are between 12 and 30 tracks, at 24 bit/44.1. I have cleaned out the sessions and defragged the drives, leaving each partition less than 1/2 full. I really do not want to go SCSI, considering the cost and loss of a pci slot, and especially with the frustration raging about the Atto card.

Is there anyone else that has gone with the IDE/ATA drives had this problem? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]