View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core) *OS Update

I am using the original Quadzilla recipe, It was rock solid for two years, and it still "pretty awesome-" But I am having some weird issues and I thought I would start by posting here, since many of you have the exact same PC, maybe someone has already had, and solved this problem.

Last summer I had some "hinky" behaviour, my computer wasnt booting up, thought it was the HD and replaced it. I did finally discover that my motherboard battery had died...awesome, thought that was the problem, easy fix. -But not so fast...

The computer is often takes a few tries to boot up and is randomly shutting down- sometimes it stays on for a whole session or two, then all of a sudden everything goes black. Sometimes it will restart afterwards, sometimes it does not. When it does not start, there is a black screen, absolutely nothing come on.

Let me also add, that I have a thermometer posted and the inside of the chassis usually runs about 90 degees, often cooler, so really not very hot. In the middle of summer I have seen it reach 107- that was the hottest I have seen it, so still not that hot. I don't think it's heat related because sometimes it won't start when it hasn't been running-or it takes me a few tries at least.

I am thinking PSU, not heat, but before I started replacing things, I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered something similiar or has a better diagnosis. When it wouldn't start a few days ago I check the thermometer, it read 66.6. Cool temp, but creepy number, I thought about calling our pastor over to perform an exorcism on it.

I should add this too, because it's weird, sometimes when I shut it down, windows closes and the monitors go off, but the computer stays running, lights are on fans are blowing and ROM drives are working...just very random.

BUT when it's up and running...it's still awesome.