View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core) *OS Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Unplug all hard drives including any DVD/CD drives etc. Plug one known working drive into SATA port one and see if it shows up in the BIOS. If it doesn't, do this same step with the rest of the SATA ports.

Less is more during the trouble shooting process.

Shane
Hi Shane:

I have no other 'working' SATA drives, unless I purchase one specifically for this purpose. My old backup C: drive (it was working at the time) was in the case unconnected so I connected it up, and after entering setup in the BIOS, there were no drives recognized after the PCI SCSI: entry. I did it for each of the four SATA ports but to no avail. I know there's always a chance, but in reality what are the odds that my boot drive and/or my audio drive was corrupted? I have the backups of all my current session files, but one copy of the Acronis images for my boot drive is on the second partition on my C: drive (actually my E: drive). I tried to narrow it down to as few items as possible when troubleshooting, and due to the weather here I was unable to pick up my new MB - that will be on the list for tomorrow.

If I am to look at building a new machine, will the video card and remaining parts (PSU, case, etc.) be reuseable? With a new MB like the Gigabyte, I'll likely need new RAM. I guess at this point I'm trying to get a handle on how much $$ I'll have to look at for an upgrade.

<rant>It just frustrates me that I've got an old Dell that has been running for 10+ years and I've only gotten 5 years out of the Quad...not that it hasn't served me well, just thought things woudl last a little longer.</rant>

Thanks for the response Shane - hopefully things are all good once I get the new MB installed.

Cheers,
Jeff M