View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 06:39 AM

Default Re: What's the secret to recording at 96k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You have a Windows laptop. Always a crap shoot.

What IO buffer size are you working at... that's kinda critical.

You have to work away at everything and see what sample rate and buffer size combination you can get reliably.

Confirm the problem is happening while tracking and is recorded in the audio tracks.

Make sure ignore errors is turned off and see if AAE errors get thrown. If so deal with that.

Check interface drivers are up to date, maybe try a different interface. Or your interface on other computers.

Try going beyond normal optimizations, especially if you do get CPU errors thrown, make sure you try the CPU priority and affinity settings widely talked about on DUC.

Try running with disk cache set to fully cache sessions.

Try printing/freezing heavy plugins, especially VIs.

Try larger IO buffer sizes... maybe give up on software monitoring if you are doing that.

If CPU errors, reduce plugin use, look for plugins causing problems, even if you are not using them.
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to think about. I guess I need a whiz kid to come help me, or just upgrade. I havent tried anything other than 44.1(I figured, it has to be converted to that anyway). I do notice a distinct quality improvent at @96k. Thank you for your suggestions.
Where can I find updated info on optimizing my computer for pro tools? What is "duc"?