Thread: Mojave 10.14.5
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Mojave 10.14.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe so. Perhaps you are more competent here, but I've seen supplemental updates in the past change the picture. Just that right now cannot remember any specific case.

Problem with supplemental updates regarding Avid is that most people install them within a day (as per Apple automatic updates) before Avid has had a chance to test them. So what good would a word in compatibility page do? AFAIK supplemental updates don't go through beta program.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to start a flame here...
All good.

You bring up a good point about the "possibility" of a supplemental update to a dot.x release causing issues but those are most often minor updates to Apple applications. Core OS changes "should" always be accompanied with an increment of the dot.x number but I've seen Apple throw a quick vulnerability patch into a non-incremented supplemental update. The issue is that type of thing is a Catch-22 for an internet connected machine since ignoring it for the sake of a remote chance it may affect Pro Tools WILL leave that machine exposed to a KNOWN vulnerability.

But I do stand by my feelings that IF Avid feels there is a reasonable risk in applying supplemental updates to an existing dot.x release, they need to make that crystal clear on their compatibility page. Currently it is not. The average user has no way of telling 10.14.6 from 10.14.6 with one or more supplemental updates applied without diving into the receipts logs.

Sometimes I (wrongly) assume everyone takes the same measured approach to updates as I do. -- Always have a current clone of your startup drive before applying any OS updates, no matter how minor they may seem.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.