View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Default Anyone recording at 192kHz?

Is anyone successfully recording high(ish) track counts in PT HD at 192kHz? I'm not interested in igniting a debate over the merits of high sample rates (although I'd recommend reading what Bob Katz has to say on the subject in 'Mastering Audio'), but rather just if you're managing to do it hassle free?

A little while ago I had a client in who insisted on tracking a rock band live at 192 because it sounded 'analogue'. Although we normally work at 44.1 or 96, we said we'd give it a go as we had done a basic test of a few tracks at 192 which was fine. It turned out to be a nightmare when we found we could record plenty of tracks (20+), but not get more than around 12 to play back without PT packing in. We tried all sorts of stuff including different types of drives, spreading across drives, changing buffers etc and cutting down the number of cards in the system, all to no avail. Time on the phone to Digi both in the UK and the States kind of left me with the impression that no-one was really doing this! (Or at least that the people I was speaking to had never tried it.)

The basics of my rig are:
PT HD5 Accel 7.4.2
Magma PE6R4 chassis
Apogee Rosetta 800 and AD16X with X-HD cards
Intel Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 core, 12Gig RAM, OS 10.5

More details my setup here

I also posted this at GS where it was suggested that Digi say that track counts are significantly reduced when using a chassis, but the only thing I could find on the Digi site about this specifically said that my chassis is not affected. Someone else said that 3rd party interfaces (Apogee in my case) are well known for reducing track counts, although no-one so far has actually supported this with any first hand evidence! It may help/interest to know that I get the full track counts and more at sample rates up to 96k.

Thanks! (newb)