View Single Post
Old 04-19-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Editing Questions

I'll preface my questions by saying that Pro Tools is not my primary rig. I use Sequoia for most of my mixing and mastering (also Sonic Solutions periodically). I do have PT, though, because LA is a PT town and I need to be able to deal with those sessions. My PT rig is a Digi001 running 32 track beta on a G4 Dual 867.

That said...

I find that when I have to do editing in Pro Tools, that it is incredibly cumbersome. I am used to a very streamlined edit paradigm and I understand PT works differently. That said, I have so many friends that rave about editing in PT, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

A few questions: With cross fades, can I have them cross at anywhere other than in the middle, beginning or end?

Is the there a way to "delete and ripple" In other words, specify a start and end point for edits and have everything disappear in between and the two pieces of audio slide together.

Can I insert a crossfade somewhere and slip tracks? Or, do I need to region things off, move the tracks, and then hope a fade is right? Or better worded, can I move the tracks and the fade point when I am in the fade editor?

In general, what sort of editing flow do you folks that use this all the time use? How would you go about a standard editing session?

Sorry to ask what seems like a potentially dumb question, but I really think I'm missing something. The editing isn't that limited, is it?

I purchased a manual and I'm slowly plowing through it trying to get my chops up... I'm just not very fast with that yet. Is there anybody in LA that considers themselves an expert with editing that would be willing to show me some stuff?

--Ben