View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Horrible VI performance when recording in 2019.10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Good for you. This is the new 16" model, right? You are aware that it ships with Catalina and cannot be downgraded, aren't you? PT is not even launching on Catalina as of now, will have to wait for the supported release.
Actually no.. I wanted it but purely because of Catalina I have either 1) decided to buy a 2019 refurb 15 which can max out at 32Gb ram and can use MowJayv (jk), 2) or a 17" windows laptop with 9980HK that I can put 64GB ram in and basically it's as fast as my imac pro and even faster single core (good for VI).
Very good laptop with great latencymon results and 3 drive slots.. I have configured one with 64Gb ram, 5TB worth of SSD's via the 3 bays, the 9980HK and the RTX 2070 for the same price as an 8 core, 32gb ram, 2TB ssd, Vega 20 refurb. The performance will spank the mac as this is able to sustain 4ghz on all cores without tweaks, vs 2.8 ish ghz under load on the macbook pros! Huge difference. With some undervolting you can get the maximum 4.2 all core turbo that the cpu is capable of.
If I go this route I'll eventually sell the imac pro and have one computer for everything.. I have been using bootcamp a lot the last 6 months and planning to migrate to windows for some time.. The Catalina shenanigans was pretty much the final straw. Only good news about Catalina is that Apple have done so much to break backward compatibility that once apps are Catalina compatible they might be OK for the next couple OS lol cause there's not much more Apple can do to break things. I am not interested in any mac that has to run Catalina, which is why the mac pro and 16" macbook are not an option. Cheers.