View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Midi is played on time but midi notes are early on play back.

I confirme the «*early midi notes*» problem is because I play my keyboard a little bit earlier to ear the sound at the good place, when i’m tracking.
So the Midi notes are recorded early in the grid, as Protools receive it during the recording pass.

I note that the problem only concerns VST instruments and not external midi keyboard because these last has the same amount of audio latency during or after the record pass.

Adding MIDI OFFSET in preferences or MIDI DELAY in realtime propreties are not good solution , firstly because it make QUANTIZING unpraticable.

The solution i’ve found is moving manually the midi notes with the NUDGE Of the same value of my system buffer size. I first set the Nudge at the desired value. ( it can be done on the main Edit Window or Midi edit window or both )
After the rec pass, I select the midi clip and press + on my keyboard.

IT S THE ONLY WAY TO HEAR THE EXACT SAME THING DURING AND AFTER THE PASS.
I have to be very carefull if I do a punch In record pass, merging new notes with an already recorded and moved pass : obviously I have to move ONLY the notes of the very last pass, because I dont want to Move the same notes a second time.

QUESTION : how it works on other DAW like Cubase and Logic ?!!

Last edited by jimax; 02-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.