View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Further X-Curve discussion

Quote:
curious...why would you encode the DVD with an X-curve? it is for large room compensation; aren't most DVD's seen in "small" rooms? living room , bedroom. i used to have a large, live living room (1000 sq feet) but that is unusually large. i did a test on a mix with and without X-Curve imposed on my monitor path, seting up my room like a theater, and it was better without. when would the X-curve be useful for playback? in a "home theater"? isn't that still too small?

is it that you don't want to re-mix it? (curious question, not accusatory) wouldn't you want to optimize your cinema mix for home playback? (maybe you're doing that but stil;l usign the eXtended curve)

and, how would the decoder know how to turn it off?

All I am merely trying to understand is whether or not I should bring a set of near-fields in to my theatrical room to mix a DVD. I am not converting a theatrical movie mix to DVD - this is a DVD only project that is largely music. Dolby's suggestion seems a bit dubious to me which is why I threw the question out to you guys. The idea of having a decoder compensate for the monitoring in the mix environment seems questionable to me.

When making records, I use a very gentle roll-off (much gentler than X-Curve) and this has always served me well. I think the solution is to bring in some near-fields, apply a gentle roll-off and get on with it. The theatrical speakers are probably not the way to go for mixing a DVD.... which begs another question.... why is it that "big" TV shows are being mixed in theatrical rooms (which obviously employ the X-Curve) - seems like a less than ideal monitoring environment for mixing TV.