View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 05:40 PM

Default Re: NAS as working drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
Thank you for the reply Darryl! I thought there was a new ethernet hi speed format called 10MG that used CAT 5 and CAT6 for higher speeds. Maybe I am needing a SAS network. I just checked out the AVID NAS, $15K to start
I took a look at Macsales.com, OWC, and they have a system also. I would want a central HD storage with the ability to read and write to those drives from 4 to 5 workstations and have some type of RAID system for backups too. I probably do need to call and speak with a network advisor.
I'm not sure. I think you are referring to 2.5/5 Gbit Ethernet over UTP copper which I think might sometimes be called "MG" something (multi-Gigabit?) ??. By 10Gbit you really need to be on Cat 6 or above, or optical. And there is a whole slew of standards and acronyms.

I'd be trying to meet at least 10 Gbit Ethernet needs now. With 10 Gbit over copper appearing on more and more PCs and iMac Pro and Mac Mini (as an option) we'll see more and more of this adopted. So makes sense to be trying to make sure at least new studio data wiring is Cat 6/6a or better and main switches and new NAS storage systems etc. are capable of 10 Gbit. Don't just look at the cable and read a label, it's how well its installed as well, terminated/punched down etc. For some applications, I'd go out of my way to pull optical cables... secure, isolated, reliable, and less interference possibilities.... and multiple confusing options there... from Ethernet standards, cable wiring, connectors and connector modules. I'm was serious about getting an expert involved

Popping up a level with NAS. To me the starting point in a studio environment would seem to be a staging and archive/backup system. Copy a session down to local (Fast PCIe based SSD of course ) storage and then push an updated copy back at the end of the session. And hopefully be automated or organized enough not to overwrite things. With good user management, security etc. across the system. I'm a technology geek and audio hobbies who happens to work in enterprise IT technology development... and I have *no* recommendations for practical studio NAS systems, I hope others do here.

One thing that I would be paranoid about with storage systems that are so complex they increase the chance of data loss or botched recovery or lock you into super-expensive proprietary expansion options. Again, think through multi-user administration, security etc.

And SAS.. I think that was a typo and you meant SAN. I'd not go there today unless you already have SAN infrastructure in use and wanted to expand. In general NAS/Ethernet has really eaten SAN/FC and I think is the future of all distributed storage.

Anyhow my 2c.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-03-2018 at 12:30 PM.