View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 AM

Default Corrupt PTX - can it be fixed?

Does anyone know how to fix a corrupted .ptx file???

Today is my deadline. Well, it was. I spent all Memorial Day weekend building sound FX for an animated short. I was in the process of mixing, when the power went out. No joke. When the lights came back on, the little icon on my .ptx file no longer looked like the purple Pro Tools icon. I tried to open, and it says "The document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools." That's also an incorrect statement, since I was opening it with the exact Pro Tools that created it.

I tried opening it on 3 different systems, but all give me the same error.
I also already tried creating a new session and importing from this one, and I get the same error message.

Mac mini 2018
OSX 10.14.6
Pro Tools 12.10.0

Luckily I had an auto backup, but it was days old for some reason (I need to lookup and increase the backup frequency). So I lost about 40% of my work, whereas I was literally in the final stages before turning it in. It's pretty devastating, especially that I don't have time to rebuild it in a timely manner. I have other deadlines to meet.

A few details that may have contributed to the file being corrupted; it may have been a perfect storm of factors:

- I was working off of an external HD, Lacie.
- I was in the process of importing a LOT of audio tracks from another session located on another external HD. I didn't see how far the import process was, but there's no way it was near 100%.
- I had no battery backup box to give me those precious seconds to save and/or exit. So when the power shutoff, it was sudden darkness.

I've seen only a few other posts online about this error. It looks like I'm out of luck on this one, but I'm still holding a few shreds of hope that someone knows of a fix. I am also sending the .ptx to several friends to try it on their system (albeit the files won't link, but that would be okay as long as it opens).