View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Mic acoustic guitar ( live )

First off, thanks for the info.

Naagzh, what I have currently at my disposal are a few 58's 57's, some sennheiser e835's, some CAD e100's (large diaphragm condensers), and I just picked up a sennheiser e914 small diaphragm condenser.

PTUser NYC, My budget won't quite reach the KM184's, so I am hoping the e914 will work well on the acousic guitar - anyone used this mic? I'm not finding many reviews on it and the ones I have found were for drum OH's (for what reviews are worth)

I was planning on using the CAD e100's on the piano ( I have a pair), and now the Senn. e914 on the guitar. There will also be a bass player that will use a small amp on stage, we are planning on just taking the D.I. output from the amp and run it into the console. I do have an AKG D112 I could sit in front of the bass amp though. I also have some clamp-on AKG condenser mics (418's and a 419.)

I forgot to mention that there will also be a trombone played from time to time by the piano player.

This is a Jazz trio with the harmonica duties being taken care of by the acoustic guitar player. He will also have a few small percussive instruments to shake around too. Supposedly a bluesy sound from the harmonica which is why I thought of the shure bullet thing. Would the 57 work with a harmonica? Do they just mount it on a stand or do they hold it in their hand? I was concerned that a stand-mounted mic might not pick up the harmonica well once the player started cupping their hands over it (obviously I've never mic'd a harmonica either

JFreak, the DI you mentioned, was that assuming the guitar has a mic inside it? Do you place a mic in an existing guitar as some sort of retrofit? Would that make for a "boxy" sound? Could I just clip one of the AKG 418's in the hole?

Thanks again guys!
Tim