View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Mac Mini 2018 for Pro Tools...?

In my edit room I'm still using a 2011 mac mini server and it's honestly still holding up fine. A bit long in the tooth now, I'm actually looking at upgrading it to the new 2018 one, but it's held up perfectly fine for 5.1 feature film and TV sound editorial work with hundreds of tracks. And those are pretty ancient hardware specs at this point. (Although note: this is for sound editorial, not mixing and using less real time plugins and reverbs than my mix room workstation).

Things that are a bummer with the new mini: non-user removable hard drives, and while 'technically' user-upgradable RAM it's an overly complicated process. The old style (pre 2014) mini's were really easy to pop open the case and upgrade the RAM and pair of internal drives to larger sizes or SSDs (all of which helped extend its useable life). But still better than the 2014 version where you couldn't user-upgrade ANYTHING. That was a disappointing release.

Anyways, if anybody is using the new style mini for Pro Tools and post I'd love to hear about it in the conversation here! If I bite the bullet and upgrade my edit room to the new one I'll let everyone know what I think of it compared to the old ones and how it handles processing and sessions and all that fun stuff.