View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Re: The Crazy Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post

We can work on EUCON features for EUCON aware apps who are actively developing for EUCON, or we can work on old protocols, hacking together APIs for a non developed legacy. I advocate for a EUCON that is more stable, faster, and more efficient. What do you think?

JC
I'm all for never developing for legacy. Complaints about Artist series not working with HUI etc... frankly... if you want HUI / Mackie go use that. If you want straight up EUCON with protools, Logic etc... then that is the right thing to do. I'm also for dumping support for old operating systems and supporting only 10.6 and forward. If you're still on 10.5 I have to question why. Stability is not the right answer. I'm also for supporting only 2 major versions of daws, and in some cases only one. For example I see valuable support for protools 9 and 10, but only for Logic 9 and not before.

That said, you also have to be sure to stay on top of system updates from apple using the developer program so that when a new OS is released, you are at least only a week or so away from releasing an update that works with it. Yes, I know apple can change APIs during beta releases, and frankly the continuous changes are not that huge and don't impact everything, so there is no real excuse for why you shouldn't be able to start working during those developer releases; it's what they're there for, no?

Also, Euphonix hasn't released an update since 2.6.2, so that's hardly a complaint from users who don't listen to others, it's a complaint that there are known problems which haven't been addressed since October of 2011... that's not acceptable either :)