View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 AM

Default Artist Line - Pro gear or Toy?

I bought a MC Mix, then a Transport and now a MC Control with a second MC Mix waiting to be shipped - so I would say I'm fairly commited to the platform.

The Application awareness makes me use the MC Transport ALL THE TIME for everything. The possibility to build your mixer step by step is superb. When you toggle between different platforms like Pro Tools (my main DAW), Logic, Reason - it's the Hammer... The concept is great thinking - what about the downsides then...

Stability leaves a lot to be asked for (but these are childhood deceases that need to be ironed out).
1) When your computer goes into restmode - you have to reboot your system and then have to shut down EuCon control panels individually one by one (Pro Tools, Safari, Mail etc...)
2) Lights go off on the Transport but goes on again if you shut down the MC Mix.
3) There doesn't seem to be a way to get the units to put the tracks in a certain order, unless you fire up the units in a certain sequence order
4) If you have other units like the Digi 002 in you setup it should be possible to determine for you first track on the Artist Line to be Track 8 every time you start up your sessions.

Why could it be considered a toy?
1) You cannot turn on your whole setup with one single key command - and the whole purpose of this unit is to send macros and save unnecessary keystrokes...
2) There are no internal contacts when you mount the units together - if you have a setup of four units there should have been only one power supply and one eathernet connection out from the unit not 4 + 4...
3) Caps flying off the faders.
4) Building quality in general smells like China/Kambodya

Why doesn't the faders of the MC Mix have led lights parallel to the faders like on the MC 5?

...yes, and I'm still contemplating buying a third MC Mix - just so you know.

(P.s. ...and perhaps a new celeb video on the Euphonix site every now and then?)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix