View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Windows 7 - how to get sound from both Pro Tools 12 and other applications?

Good morning - and please forgive me my english - it is not my native language, as it will surely become obvious quickly.

As a 'new user' I would also like to extend my greetings to You all.

I need Your 'quick and efficient' help - just 'step by step' solution to a silly 'problem' which makes my Pro Tools 12 pretty much unusable.

I'm just as big of a 'noob' in 'tech-sphere' of music making as it gets, so have that in mind. I wanted to 'build' my little 'reasonably functional and cheap' music-corner, one, which will not limit me with software's poor abilities, so:

- I have read what I could about DAW's - and bought the Pro Tools 12 [ full version ].

- I have read what I could about studio monitor's - and bought Yamaha HS8

- I have read what I could about ' external sound card - audio interface ' - and I have 'planned' to buy Focusrite 2i2. I did not bought it 'yet', so if it is for some reason 'terrible choice for Pro Tools' - please tell me.

Point of all this was to 'give me' whatever ability I like to ' play with music in my head' on screen, without finding, that "program can't do that", "does not work because of x", "is not compatible with Y" - that kind of waste of time nonsense.

So - I installed my Pro Tools 12 on my silly desktop PC...

... only to find, that I am unable - and it is considered "normal behaviour" on forums - have sound from both Pro Tools 12 - and all of other apps on PC at the same time.

If someone would tell me before that "Proffesional audio app" have issues like that I would have trouble believieng it. You do now, that there are free daw-like, poor looking apps out there that have no troubles with that, right?

If any 'company engineer' read my post - I feel I have right to say that thing like that should not be an acceptable feature in a respectable software.

----------
So this is what I need help with:

I absolutely need for Pro Tools 12, as well as World of Warcraft, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, 15 pages in browser, windows media player, MS Word, 10 folders, Da Vinci editing software and many other things, run without an issue simultaneously 24/7 - just like they always have - until Pro Tools 12.

I respectfuly ask for quick and efficient, point by point solution.

I am happy to provide all information You need.

I have Windows 7.

I have Pro Tools 12.

I was able to figure out "same bit rate" on Windows 7 and Pro Tools 12.

1. My first question:

Please -

care to explain me what should I do to hear everything at the same time, now, without addind audio interface to my pc and using just pc speakers. I have 2 pairs of them if that could be useful, just write me point by point how to configure it.

No, there are not tutorials for that in google or forum search option.

2. Would it be a problem to run ALL PC sounds, from Pro Tools 12, You Tube, video games and everything other in the world through single pair of Yamaha HS8? I did not 'wanted' to create my little rig to be forced to... to what? To send all sound 'except of Pro Tools' to pc speakers?

Please tell me, as clearly as possible, if I will have any issuses in simulataneously running all imaginable PC sounds, Pro Tools 12 included, through single pair of Yamaha HS8, when I will add audio interface to all that.

Thank You in advance for You help - and take care.