View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfingers View Post
Side-chain delay compensation is HDX only! This is madness.

Want to pump the bass with the kick drum.. it won't be in sync as Avid has turned off delay compensation for side-chain's unless you've got an HDX card.

Want to duck the music with the VO? Nope, no ADC so it ends up out of sync.

This seems like a strange way of marketing HDX cards. I sold mine while I could still get some $ for it but they're getting pretty old now so I suspect Avid will have to remedy this.. unless they come out with another DSP card. But I doubt shareholders would like that move.

This reminds me of PT LE back in the day when we had no ADC at all when every other major DAW did. I understand that hardware based software presents more of a challenge when porting processing over to the CPU for native users but honestly, it often comes across as more of a marketing strategy.

... oh and our recordings aren't adjusted for system delay without HDX. Bonkers.
The amount of delay on the sidechain is almost never a problem. The attack time on compressors is usually much more of an issue. And when you actually run into an audible problem, create a key track and shift the audio earlier. How long does that take, 10 seconds? We've been doing this forever. And for the pumping effect in dance music, you want the key track earlier anyway. Non-issue in 99% of the cases. Stop stressing over technical blueprints and use your ears more.