View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 06:08 AM

Default Re: iMac Pro Customization Options - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenMorris View Post
Hello forum people,
This thread is very interesting and informative: thank you!
I'm planning on completely changing and upgrading my (very old?) Pro Tools mix system in the next joule of months, and an iMac Pro, with new Pro Tools software and all new plug ins (some upgrades....some new), seems to be a potentially good option for me.
I would almost exclusively use my system for mixing only. I work on large, professional sessions....involving lots of tracks/groups/plug ins.
My wife would definitely like it if I could just basically use an iMac Pro (with a suitable, small interface....I've been considering the UA ii...)....
Is the 10 core version the best for big Pro Tools mixing sessions......or should I be looking at the 18 core?
Apologies for the vagueness and probable dumbness of my questions......
If you are used to a MIX system, the base model imac pro or even the standard imac i7 will be a huge improvement in the number of plugins and tracks you can run. Depending on what you use on a regular basis with the MIX system, you will miss some of your old plugins, but you can always use the MIX rig as an effects processor for your new system.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?