View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Having issues with LtRt downmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by teklife View Post
Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I've since turned down the LSRS in Neyrinck which seems to be helping, The current settings I'm using are:

LR=0 C=-3 LSRS=-6 LFE=-3
The thing to always bear in mind is that this will always be a compromise. Whilst there is an amount of wishful thinking that it is no longer required, this is not yet the case. Although it is indeed true that the 5.1 specs for HDTV are Dolby Digital, which is discrete (as far as it goes, anyway) plus has it's own downmix metadata it is still a good idea to know how to do this "old school" as only last year I was asked to supply a 5.1 & an LtRt - on DTRS of all things!!

Your settings are very similar to the default setup in a Dolby Digital encoder so should be an acceptable starting point but the only way to know you have it right for your mix is to constantly check, check, check. It's a double compromise too as you first have to compromise your 5.1 mix to a Matrixed Lt/Rt stream & check the decoded version in 5.1 (and this is hard enough) but you also have to compromise your stereo - and for me this was always the biggest problem as it is a serious compromise and a dedicated stereo mix will always sound better (at least to my ears it does).

I can highly recommend the RPGA Surround document as a good start point.
XI-machines PC-DAW with Intel Xeon E5-2687W CPU (8/16 cores at 3.1GHz/core), 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 200 Graphics, RME RayDAT I/O > RME ADI-8 DS Pro ADC/DAC, Waves DigiGrid IOS (ethernet), Adam Audio A7x 5.1 system.
NetStor TurboBox c/w 3x UAD-2 Octo DSP, Steinberg Nuendo 10.2 & Cubase Pro 10.5 c/w WK Audio ID Remote Mixing Console.

Plug-ins & ancillaries (full libraries unless stated)
AA Translator, GEAR Pro Mastering Edition, Scenarist SD/BD/BD-J, MEI DVD-Audio Creator, DVD-Lab Pro 2
Universal Audio, Plugin Alliance, Eventide, Waves, Sonnox, Zynaptiq, Softube*, iZotope*, Voxengo*, Flux*, Slate Digital*, PSP Audioware* and many more

* = selected tools only (full list available on request)