View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
I was getting confused on which mobo to buy after reading the suggestions that there may be a problem with newer mobos that have the PCIe to PCI bridge chip, rendering some of the PCI slots unusable for HD cards, so I thought I'd try an experiment.

I took my HD3 cards out of the G5 and put them in my old clunker office PC with a Pentium 4 and 1GB ram. And yes, the PCI-X style card fits fine into the PCI slots, with the last 1/3 of the connector hanging out n mid air.

Guess what? Windows XP and Pro Tools see all of the cards just fine. I installed PT v8.0.3 because that was the last "full install" version available to me that runs on XP, and I was able to open a 24 track session and play it back without a glitch.

So what does this mean? That my 7 years old PCI Pentium 4 "single core" 2.4gHz computer can handle PT better than a spanking new P67 Sandy Bridge mobo?

I repeat, both Windows and PT saw all three cards (HD core, and two Accel) just fine, and PT installed, launches and plays back just fine!

All theories are welcome. Still trying to decide which mobo to go with for a Sandy Bridge build.

Media Man
This was the beauty of HD! Didn't need a superfast computer becuase the cards did all of the work. Now take that same computer and start loading a bunch of RTAS plugs and see what happens. My current system is fine when all things Protools are considered but newer Vsts are not running so well on my system. Reasons takes forever to load sounds. Same thing with Maschine. The new Sandybridge processors are smoken!! It takes less than a minutes for my computer to reboot and load up Protools!! Alot of that has to do with the SSD drive as well but this task took about 8 minutes with my 8 core Xeon rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorudess View Post
I have found a Gigabyte GA-P65A-UD3 and I am thinking to pull the trigger and buying it. Someone has to try....this sandybridge and protools hd thing is killing me .
Nice price too btw...
I have been looking very hard for this board! Where you find it? Gigabyte told me that they never made it and I could not find it in the US.

I sold the H67 rig and now having a hard time finding the Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3. I figure I would just go with an i7 870 and call it a day. I am going to build another Sandybridge PC but go with a i7 2600k and a motherboard that I can overclock for the B Room.