View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 07:42 AM

Default Re: 33 day countdown! Time to stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
4 days left to go! Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm wondering if there is anything else pertinent to the debate or anyone who can persuade me I need to give Avid another £200 for another year of updates?

Stephen
Mr Bond (always wanted to say that)

I think there are just a couple considerations – I am doing the same calculation as well…

1) If you are on Win 10, I think it is possible to freeze at 2020.5 and retain long term use – on Mac that is a much more difficult calculation – it seems each Mac update breaks something in ProTools (YMMV)

2) Is there a feature you can think of (anything) that would really ‘move the bar’ for you if ProTools implemented it ?

3) Is there a current BUG in 2020.5 that is affecting you in any way – right now, for me, on Win 10, 2020.5 is the most stable and snappy version for a while. I have had no crashes (or stops ! ) and I can record 16 Audio tracks, 3 Kontakt VSTs, and a few Waves plugs at 24/96 with 64 bit buffer on MOTU 1248 with no issues for more than 3 hours continuous recording.

4) Is there a feature on ANY other DAW that you really covet that CAN NOT be implemented with a AAX plugin ? I agree ARA might be nice, but is it a feature that is worth $200 per year to hope they implement it?

5) Even if ProTools does add a new (useful) feature, how many versions are you willing to wait until all the introduced BUGS have been removed ? I have been on PT since 9.0, each time they have introduced a new great feature it has taken a while to stabilize.

6) Is the Folder implementation a sign of things to come ? One of the most poorly considered ‘features’ IMHO that ProTools has attempted to implement – currently unusable, for all the reasons I have listed in the sticki. In the past I have been pretty impressed on the way Avid has implemented new features ! Why was Folder Tracks so poorly implemented ?

7) IMHO I do not think there is any MEANINGFUL sonic improvement possible with ProTools. There is no ‘sound of ProTools’.

8) Is is a classic case of FOMO ? Let’s say over the next 2 years Avid implements a feature that no one saw coming (dunno ?), but is super useful to your workflow. Well, you have saved $400, made more music because you weren’t unnecessarily constantly updating your DAW, but now you gotta go on the Subscription model, or pay a bit more than you saved and rebuy the perpetual license (if they still sell it then). It is currently the same price – 2 years of subscription, or buy the perpetual

9) So what are the odds that Avid fixes a critical bug impacting you, or adds a feature that you just gotta have over the next year. If it takes 2 years the price is the same.

10) And finally, how much would you hate not being able to come to this forum and complain about ProTools ?

IMHO, YMMV.
ejinbc