View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT11 to PT12 Cost

Well this part is confusing. I get that PT 11 users have until 12/31/15 to sign up for the new annual subscription plan. Fine.

So I read this is the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. What is a perpetual license?
A. A "perpetual license" is a license that does not expire—you own the software. You get a perpetual license when you purchase a new Pro Tools or Pro Tools | HD system or Pro Tools software. New Pro Tools software purchases come with a one-year annual upgrade and support plan. After one year, you have the option of renewing your plan to continue receiving the latest features. If you choose not to renew, you can continue using your software indefinitely at the latest version you have, but will not be able to upgrade it at a later time.

Q. Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A. No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan. If you don’t get on a plan, you will not be able to upgrade your software in the future.
That seems clear enough...its a perpetual license and you'll always be able to use Pro Tools at your current version if you elect not to renew your subscription. But then there this a couple paragraphs on the FAQ later:

Quote:
Q. What happens if I allow my Pro Tools subscription to lapse?
A. You will no longer be able to use Pro Tools after your subscription lapses. If your subscription has lapsed and you wish to continue using Pro Tools, simply start a new monthly or annual subscription.
Huh? Didn't they just say that if you let your subscription lapse you can continue using your software, just not get upgrades and such? And now they say "No, let lapse and you're toast!"

Ummmm...which is it Avid? Please clarify??