View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Re: External HDX on Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The problem that many of us have on DUC with recommending Windows laptops is so many of them have had issues in the past. And there is such a diversity of configs. If you know great Windows laptops that work with Pro Tools very well then maybe you should be recommending them here.
My Lenovo P50 with Windows 10 Pro has a Thunderbolt 3 port and the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Controller, and works wonderfully with the HD Native Thunderbolt box. I use the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter hitch work without issue also. Ialso have a 34mm Express card slot whInch presumably will work with the appropriate Express card to a PCIe adapter.

Assuming you could find an external Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe chassis, expect it to work fine with with the HDX cards as well. The problem that I am aware of with the Sonnet Tech Chassis is that it doesn’t work with the Avid cards on either Windows or Mac with the TB3 version. But they say that the TB2 version does.

Magma says that their TB2 expansion chassis will work with Windows 7/8 and Avid cards. I would expect that they will work with Windows 10 also, since Win10 includes TB drivers as part of the OS.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One