View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Please help me to get a basic drum loop to work.

Quote:
Hello,
I'm trying to record a simple drum loop then duplicate it.
When I record the drums I play exactly (hopefully) on the click and grid (I'm set to grid mode)
Well, If the notes record on the grid (like they should be if you're on time) then I have trouble getting the first note of the loop to copy.
Then it isn't recorded "to the grid".
Quote:
Either it gets omitted (if I'm slightly ahead and select on the grid) or truncated/cut in half.
Again, that is an indication that it isn't "recorded to the grid".
Quote:
How do you select the loop and get the first note to copy correctly. If I select a notch ahead on the grid, I risk overwriting the tail end of the loop. Certainly you don't have to play slightly behind the click to get it to work!
It sounds more like you are playing ahead of the click.

What exactly are you recording/looping? Audio or MIDI? It would be easier to help you if we knew that information.

What you need to do is select exactly the loop length you are trying to copy. If you are looping 4 beats, then you need to select exactly 4 beats for your loop. If you are anticipating the beat (which is sounds like you are), Then you need to select the beginning of the note, and then select exactly the loop length afterward. For instance, if you anticipate the beat by a 16th note (that's a very drastic example, but bear with me) and you are looping just one measure in 4/4 (4 beats) then the end of your selection should be 1/16th not shy of the measure marker. Then when you paste, you would paste it not on the beat, but 1/16 ahead of the beat (where the original falls). Understand?
Quote:
Also, Question 2 but related, Is there a way to copy and paste midi notes as "additive"? Meaning, if I copy and paste a snare hit, it won't overwrite the hi hat in the same area.
alt + m when pasting the copy (instead of ctrl + v). That's the shortcut for Edit->Paste Special->Merge.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12