View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Final Mixing Chain doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Here's my take on panning(and I admit that I am still working on this myself so maybe I'm only barely ahead of you). You won't get "surround" feel out of stereo, but some tricks are worth trying(giving a stereo mix "depth" or a "3D feel" is what separates the good from the great). Yes, there are widener plugins and I use Waves S1 and Vitamin a fair amount, BUT, as much as you might be tempted to slap that on the master, don't do it. Because(I know you just asked why) they work by messing with the phase, so using it on the master has the potential to do as much damage as it might give the illusion of sounding bigger/wider/better/etc. When I use wideners, I tend to stick it on a reverb AUX track or some VI that is more of a texture than an "instrument" sound. Getting "depth" is tricky and some are better than others(I consider myself closer to the "other" category). My best advice there is; dryer signals will seem more forward and wetter signals will seem more distant, so start with that concept and see what you can make happen.

Last 2 cents for those that are newer to this stuff, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. Example; its easy to stack tons of tracks when you have (essentially) unlimited tracks in the digital world. I had a client send me a session to mix and it had 8 guitar parts, and each part was done with 4-6 tracks(different cabs, different mics, close and far....) so it was around 30 tracks of guitar I pared it down to 1-2 tracks for any given part and ended up with a mix that blew the client away(sometimes less really IS more, and this can be a valuable lesson).
Thanks for your answer, and sorry for the delay!

I find really great the idea you say of using for example the S1 Imager in the aux effects to give them more depth. Im going to try this asap!
And yes, sometimes we want to do too much and that ends up messing up the sound of the whole mix.

Hope to hear more ideas from more users!

Thanks!!
Radeon Pro 460 with 4 GB of memory (graphics card)
SSD PCIe 512 GB

- Apollo Twin Duo MKII (2016) Thunderbolt
- Pro Tools 12.8.1