View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Re: any tips on using the delay plug-in?

Remember, these are mod+delay plugs. If you don't want phase/chorus/flange then set the depth, and rate sliders to 0. I use them constantly, particularly in a send/return configuration on aux tracks for ambience, some examples:
1. an analog type delay: ( I do everything to a click, so I sync all delays in tempo. In PT6 just set the tempo in the slider, and choose 8th, quarter, half etc. In PT 5.x you have to calculate the time yourself, ask me if you don't know how). So, set your delay time. Use the mix slider to control the wet/dry relationship (on an aux, set mix to 100% and use the send level to control this). Use the feedback slider to control the number of repeats you'l hear. Use the LPF to roll off high end like an analog delay does. I set it from 3-10k depending on how lo-fi I want it to sound. Usually I set shorter delays around 8-10k and longer delays from 3-7k, but that's just me.
2. Using the mods: set really short delay times for the modulation effects. PHASER 0.5-0.8ms. CHORUS 2-4ms. FLANGE 7-10ms. On all of these set the depth/rate to taste. You'll start to actually hear a seperated delay at around 9ms, so getting a real 'flange' is difficult, but it works in a pinch.

RR