View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Getting a clearer voice in my mix

Where to start......
Step 1-remove everything that you are not sure of(there is no point in putting plugins, sends, etc on a track when you don't know WHY you want/need them).

2-it all starts at the source. What mic? What preamp? How far off the mic are you? How well is your recording space treated acoustically? How hot is the signal coming out of the preamp(if its separate from your interface)? Are you going thru your track and using CLIP GAIN to level out spots that are too soft or too loud?(this helps compressor plugins to work more consistently) Are you using a hardware compressor on the way in? Go easy(its simple to add MORE compression, but nearly impossible to remove when you have too much).

3-once you get a clean/clear track recorded, then decide what you need to add and why, starting with inserts. Suggestions:
EQ-to hi-pass(and nothing else at this point)
Compressor-something gentle to just grab the peaks
Compressor #2-something with a bit of "character"(SMACK!, Waves CLA2A)
Pultec EQ(or Maag4) to add some "air"(10/12/16KHz)
Vocal Rider(a waves plugin that rides the volume so you don't need to)

4-notice there are no effects listed so far? Continue

Effect plugins are best used on an AUX track(for each effect) and use sends on your audio track to feed the effects(which would usually be set for a 100% wet mix). Suggestions:
1-reverb-plates are good for vocals. Reverb time would be shorter as the tempo gets faster(IOW a 4 second reverb trail might be great for a ballad, but uptempo stuff needs to be shorter/tighter)
2-short delay
3-long delay(something in time with the beat). You might only send single words or phrases to this AUX for special treatment
4-doubler(something that emulates the Eventide H3000 to pitch-shift, such as +7 cents on the left and -7 cents on the right). Soundtoys Little Microshift is a good "budget" plugin for this
5-distortion. I left this last as you may or may not want/need it. Mangling a vocal can be a cool effect in places but I would rarely treat the entire song(that's just me). another cool trick is to send the vocal(using a send to a mono AUX track)(this keeps the main track clean). On this AUX, insert EQ III and enable the hi-pass and push the frequency up to around 3-4KHz(so nothing but high frequencies continue on). Next, insert a distortion plugin(like sansamp or AIR Distortion and go for some mild clipping. adding this behind a clean vocal can make it "pop"(stand out) in a mix without making it just louder(which doesn't always work)

quick recap, if the original vocal isn't clean and clear, go back to the starting point(because you can't fix a crap track)

All of this is suggestions. There are no "rules"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave