View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Dual monitors issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcurrie View Post
Eventually they put someone in charge of developing on Windows, but most of his team were contract programmers - meaning Digidesign weren't committing to Windows.
I am not sure what/when you are referring to, or who told you this, etc. But I think it's not correct. I was working at Digidesign in those days, as a programmer. I am in fact the person who kicked off the project to port Pro Tools to Windows, back in 1997. Once I got PT running on Windows and everybody saw that the porting method was viable, the project got put on the master project schedule and multiple programmers got assigned to it, just like any other (i.e. Mac) Pro Tools release.

Sure, there was a bit of something that you might call "Mac bias" in those days. But that was just good business sense. Even after the Windows version of Pro Tools had been available for years, about 95% of all TDM Pro Tools systems were still on Mac. You have to focus your resources where they make the most sense. So you're not going to abandon or under-attend the majority of your customer base just to bring another OS up to speed. As I hoped Pro Tools on Windows would get more attention, this was a bit of a bummer, but I cannot argue that it wasn't a proper business move. All of that was a long time ago, and these days I expect that any such bias has largely dwindled.

I am likewise unaware of any contract programmers who ever worked on the Windows versions of Pro Tools while I was at Digi (from 1995-2002). It was all Digi employees. All programmers who worked on Pro Tools had to have both a Mac and a PC, and eveybody had to be able to do both. That was company policy. So the same guys who worked on the Mac version also worked on the Windows version. There were some of us who were more Windows experienced, and we did tend to work on the Windows versions more, but aside from that it was "dual citizenship" so to speak for everybody.