Thread: PT 12 anyone?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 AM

Default Re: PT 12 anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
It was released yesterday -- anybody biting the bullet?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, no plans to upgrade myself, I'm staying with PT 10 / 11.

Thanks!
HD users have till Dec. 31 of this year to make up their mind and before being permanently locked in to 11 or 10 or whatever they have at that point.

After that they have to re-purchase 12HD new which essentially means they have to buy at least one card as well and an Omni. That's a 5000$ re-entry ticket or more than 8 years worth of upgrade plan. Seems a bit out of whack to me...

It's really sad for freelancers who own multiple systems they only need occasionally when they travel or when they need to move a mobile kit to a remote mixing site for a few weeks or need an assistant to help out on a second rig. 1200 or 2400$/year to maintain that workflow just to have them sit in the closet for a year when you don't need them? Not sure if a lot of people can do that...

Also makes very little sense being forced to pay support fees for every single license. Why would I need more phone-support for 3 systems than I'd need for a single one when all are the same and owned by the same person?

But I'm in no hurry. Best to wait till the dust has settled. And at the moment there's a *lot* of dust in the air looking at the PT12 section :roll eyes:
I wouldn't be surprised if things changed over the course of the year. I hope...

Regarding PT12. This would indeed interest me at the moment:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365910

There's so much ranting over there. People probably didn't notice the posting.

Frank.