View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 2020 Mac Mini or wait for ARM?

Apple is expected to announce their first Arm based systems this coming week (Tuesday 9th). I'd wait and see what the said there and and the reaction to that.

Avid has an event on the 12th. I'd hope that Avid takes that opportunity to talk about their Mac Arm roadmap, I'll be very impressed if Avid does, they are unfortunately not great about communicating with customers.

But the idea here of others having much useful advice for you is pretty unlikely. There is a lot of unknowns but the biggest unknowns are all about you. What your needs are, budget, etc. If I was running a business and a current computer was affecting my ability to work I'd have little worry about buying a high-end Intel Mac now, otherwise I might be more inclined to wait. And either way I'd be waiting to see what is announced in the next few weeks--there has been some speculation it might be more than just a Macbook air type computer and might even include a Mac mini type system.

You mention eGPU, you don't necesarilly need an eGPU to run Pro Tools on a Mac Mini. Do you have multiple monitors to run etc? Deciding to buy an eGPU may just be sinking unneeded cost here into that system that may have less useful lifespan due to the arm transition. My starting point with most Macs to max out the internal SSD storage a much as you can and of possible to fit samples, sessions etc. on that drive then run them there. Unfortunately you pay the Apple tax on storage.