View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 03:01 AM

Default Re: PT 2019 Mojave macPro 5,1

Ok so I did a test - quick performance comparison between 2019.5 + Sierra and 2019.5 + Mojave (10.14.4). Sadly, i see a much worse plugin efficiency on a 3,46 dual xeon Mac Pro 5,1.

I prepared a test track with Equilibrium, Pro-MB, RxVoice Denoise, Aroma, and Space with a long 8 sec impulse. I can playback 17 of these tracks under Sierra reliably (cpu usage is about 1500% in activity monitor)
And even can lower the buffer to 64, which of course is not recommended on Xeons. From experience I know no matter which software you run, the minimum buffer to run these is 128, and 192 even better. And yes, that includes Reaper. (talking MacOS here) That's a hardware limitation, these cpu's were not designed for very low latency, as they were meant to be used with servers.

Under Mojave, I can run at most 11 of these. Cpu usage is similar (about 1500%).

I had video engine enabled at all times, using oldie but goodie Metric Halo 2882 FW interface.

So, if anyone was wondering like me, this is how it is. Do not get me wrong, i think 2019.5 is much better with Sierra, some Cpu optimizations seem to be there and non interrupted playback works most of the time on my system, it's just that the cpu optimizations with Mojave seem to be made for newer cpu's.

Curious if anyone can repeat the test with new hardware. TNM? :)