View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 08:52 PM

Default Re: G4 price drop in July?

Quote:
How long do you think it will take for Digi to approve of these "new" computers coming out in July? Are there any compatible preipherals for this USB2 midi, and 1394b FW?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've already seen announcements of Oxford 922 equipment (taking advantage of the new Firewire bus). Haven't seen and USN2 stuff yet, but I can't imagine it won't be backward compatible. I figure a more robust USB implementation can only help MIDI on the USB port.

Quote:
If you're the first one to "jump" on the bandwagon and have to be on the cutting edge, you also get to be a beta tester for everyone.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bought my last two computers before they were approved by Digidesign, and had no trouble (although I did wait to hear some preliminary reports).

I can't think of any Apple tower configuration that hasn't been good for Digidesign hardware. The two biggest historical issues I can think of are the need to disable the second processor in dual G4 machines, and the early problems of running dual monitors with the first G4's (until the dual AGP cards came out).

Since it's so close, I think the thing to do is wait for July 7, and make the decision after seeing what's up Apple's sleeve. You'll either end up with a better deal, or the new machines might be too tempting (i.e. too many important advances in architecture, speed, etc.) to pass up.

That being said, I think Apple's new machines would probably be more attractive to PT HD owners. The current 1394a 400 Mbs Firewire works quite nicely with Mix systems.

Lee Blaske