View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 03:59 AM

Default Re: What is a good preamp?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm still not following what your budget is and that's pretty key here. Lots of nice stand alone or 500 series preamps are in the $500-$1k range. And you can get them in racks that that in some cases do ADAT Out.

If you want ADAT preamps "better than a Berringer" that does not really tell anybody much. The Beringer is lacking compared to the Apogee preamps?... and do you just want something as good as the Apogee?

If you like Apogee stuff. You can use an Element 88 as an ADAT preamp. And every other man and his dog makes ADAT preamps. Lots of folks seem to like the Audient 800/880s. The Grace M108 is a nice flexible higher end clean preamp. OK I just like Grace stuff. But nothing that will color the tone give you stuff to experiment with... most of the ADAT preamps are unlikely to do much for you but they'll get you a channel count.

If you looked for 500 modules for 8 channels for the critical stuff... So Apogee 88 ~ $1,500 500 series rack for 8 channels and then if you were racking 8 500 series preamps say guess $6,500 for the 500 series stuff, so $8k total. The critical thing here is what high-end amps you want. Even single box multi-channel preamps a bit better quality than typical start around $500 and higher per channel. So again my preference would be to go 500 series and then have flexibility to mix and match stuff, even at a likely slightly higher price. Or maybe you should be thinking about more channels of lower-end preamp and just a few higher end?

My budget is under $2K. I am very interested in the 500 series, but not at the price they are running right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Pro Cheesegrater (the old one) 32 GB memory
Pro Tools 2020.12.0
Apogee Symphony 64