View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Re: What is a good preamp?!

If ever a loaded question was asked..............

Posting your budget and how many inputs you will need at one time will help steer the replies. Here is some general opinion based on my own experience with a commercial studio in Nashville, TN(since sold off and retired)
Some preamps are considered "good" because they impart no color, but others are considered "good" BECAUSE they color(which makes it more interesting)

For "color/character", its tough to beat a Neve 1073 or a clone. Vintech, Warm Audio, Heritage Audio have lots to offer. I used(and loved) Vintech 273&573 and the Warm Audio 2-channel with EQ. I also use Chameleon Labs 581(clone of the Neve 1081) and they are tough to beat for electric guitars.

The next "color" pre I love is the API 312(not the 512). I had a few of the Five Fish Audio X-12 with the discreet op-amp option(in a 500 rack) and those were used for 99% of all my vocal tracking. The Neve's might be rounder/warmer, but the 312 puts the signal up front and in your face (exactly what I want for vocals). API A2D fits as well as the Warm Audio WA-412.

For more "honest" and less "color", the Focusrite ISA428(or 828) is a solid choice. Miktek MP201 is also in this category. I used both of these on overheads, and acoustic instruments with excellent results.

For drums, the Midas XL48 is a real sleeper and excellent value(under $1K for 8 channels). It beat out both Neve clones and API clones in my setup.

Last category(I guess) would be totally clean and honest. Grace and Milennia are 2 that fit that need.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave