View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Re: HEAT, NEVE 8048 Listening Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Exactly, it seems as though: 1) people don't understand why a double blind us the most accurate test and, 2) don't understand that their own bias will effect the outcome if they are allowed to know which source is which. Anyone who doesn't think that their mind can talk their ears into hearing what they want is naive at the very least.
1) First of all this isn't a "double blind test" a "double blind test" by definition is when the testers themselves don't know which is which either. This isnt the case here.

2) The main reason the test is flawed is because it REQUIRES us to be be biased in order to even make the selection. We need to pick the best sounding mix then assign it to what choice we expect to be the best sounding. So If I assume the NEVE to be the best I need to pick NEVE when I hear the best one. Obviously this doesnt work because if HEAT is actually the best...I will get most of the answers wrong.

The bigger point is the mistaken assumption that since so many people are getting so many wrong that they all must sound the same. This couldnt be further from the truth since I would assume that most of us agree they all sound very different.